05 February 2017

Planar NPC: The Blight On Her Feathers

The Blight On Her Feathers, The Unwell Third Champion Of The Ruby Sword, The Dying Scourge Of The Dead

A ragged angelic figure wearing studded leather and wielding a ruby lonsword. Her pale skin is marred with a lattice of inky veins covering left side of her face, left shoulder and arm. Her left hand is solid black. One of her wings has pearly white feathers while the other is partly decayed.

CR 9; XP 6,400
NG Medium Outsider (angel, extraplanar, good, half-undead)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., deathwatch, low-light vision; Perception +17
Aura protective aura

Defense
AC 23, touch 14, flat-footed 19 (+3 armor, +4 Dex, +6 natural; +4 deflection vs. evil)
hp 114 (12d10+48)
Fort +12, Ref +8, Will +12; +2 vs. disease and mind-affecting, +4 vs. poison, +4 resistance vs. evil
Defensive Abilities negative energy affinity; DR 10/evil; Immune acid, cold, petrification; Resist electricity 10, fire 10

Offense
Speed 30 ft., fly 60 ft. (poor)
Melee ruby blade +18/+13/+8 (1d8+5/19–20/×2) and 2 wings +11 (1d4+2)
Special Attacks left hand of death
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th, concentration +15)
Constant—deathwatch
2/day—heal (DC 19), hide from undead (DC 14), mass cure light wounds (DC 18), remove fear, remove paralysis, restoration

Statistics
Str 18, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 17
Base Atk +12; CMB +16; CMD 30
Feats Combat Casting, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (longsword)
Skills Fly +15, Heal +17, Knowledge (planes) +16, Knowledge (religion) +16, Perception +17, Sense Motive +17, Stealth +19
Language Celestial, Draconic, Infernal; truespeech
SQ change shape (Medium undead, undead anatomy I)

Ecology
Environment any
Organization unique
Treasure standard (including ruby blade)

Special Abilities


Left Hand Of Death (Su) The left hand of The Blight On Her Feathers wholly succumbed to the necrotic corruption; she can use it as a conduit to the realms of the dead to banish an undead touched into the Underworld (DC 19) or open a gate there. The opened gate can be used to travel to and from the Underworld, or to revive a mortal creature. There is 75% chance that the recalled individual returns to the world of living as if revived with true resurrection spell, though tainted by the death and gaining half-undead subtype; there is 25% chance that a nightshade uses the occasion to slip into the living world instead of the called individual or some powerful dead or undead creature impersonates the subject. Each time The Blight On Her Feathers uses this ability, the necrotic corruption progresses further by a significant degree.

Ruby Sword The Blight On Her Feathers is the current rightful bearer of the ruby sword gaining access to its powers.


Once a valiant champion of the celestial realms and slayer of undead, The Blight On Her Feathers was struck down with a mortal curse of a necrotic godling she helped take down. Now, her angelic essence suffers from a slow corruption of undeath turning her into one of the monstrosities she always fought.

The Blight On Her Feathers mixes bitter and ecstatic behavior, frantically trying to make the most of her remaining time, seeking a way to utterly destroy herself without turning into an undead abomination, trying to destroy as many undead as she can, and looking for a worthy bearer for the ruby blade, though it is uncertain even for her if she can really pass it to someone else of her own volition.


The ruby blade is a blessed weapon, a +1 ghost touch undead bane longsword, that bestows certain powers on its rightful bearer:
  • The bearer can see invisible undead and ethereal creatures while holding the blade.
  • The bearer is immune to possession by undead as long as the ruby blade is on her person. Any effect exerting direct control such as vampiric dominate is suppressed as well, and no mind-affecting effect can make the bearer drop the ruby blade (though the bearer can be still coerced or tricked into doing so by mundane means, such as taking a hostage).
  • When an undead is dropped to 0 or less hit points within 30 feet of the ruby sword, the bearer becomes immediately aware if the creature was not truly destroyed due to its special abilities, such as rejuvenation or vampire's special defensive abilities. If the creature relies on special objects or places to return to existence (e.g. phylactery, coffin, armor), the bearer gains a sudden flash of insight into the nature of the object or place. If the creature is held by unfinished business or some other factor, the bearer sees a short vision of the reasons for the creature continued existence, though she might need to interpret it correctly to deduce what actions need to be taken to prevent the victim's further return. Undead creatures that were reduced to 0 or less hit points by a hit from the ruby sword take twice the usual amount of time to rejuvenate and recover.
  • The bearer senses when a haunt is triggered and can make an attack of opportunity with the ruby blade against the adjacent haunt and deal damage as if it was positive energy. This is followed by a vision related to the cause of the haunt that gives clues to the haunt's means of destruction.
  • The ruby blade counts as a good and silver weapon in the hands of rightful bearer, and it can be used instead of a wooden stake to paralyze a vampire, or destroy a nosferatu.

No comments:

Post a Comment